Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Broken Leg, Broken Spirit

This was the one and only picture of Tyler's last match for the season (last night). Yes, you heard right. Tyler was up 4-2 when he called an injury time out (his opponent accidently landed on Tyler's leg when Tyler was trying to get an escape). I wasn't sure what was going on because from where I was sitting, I didn't see what happened. I looked at Ben immediately to see his reaction and he mouthed the words a parent never wants to hear..."it's bad." I was a good mom though and waited in the stands as Doc Graham (a parent of one of our wrestlers and orthopedist) ran down along with all the coaches and tried to manipulate Tyler's leg and ankle. I waited only as long as I saw they were busy with him and then I saw Tyler's face and tears so I went down to be with him. He was in alot of pain. Unfortunately, Tyler had to forfeit the match and we took him over to Doc Graham's office (instead of the ER so we wouldn't have to wait) to be x-rayed. Doc Graham showed us where his leg was broke and also where his ankle was broke through the growth plate. He suggested trying to put his ankle back together by manipulation again and then he could set it, but it would be painful. The doctor tried, but was unsucccessful. He then recommended surgery where he would put pins and screws in Tyler's leg. He will be out of wrestling for 3 months. Tyler was devastated. I think he was more upset about the fact that his season was over. He had an excellent run though. He just beat the career record for the school at 45-0 (the current record was 44-0)! Tyler was really looking forward to finishing out the season undefeated for two years. It was a great goal to try and achieve but unfortunately, his time ran short. Tyler sobbed the whole way home after seeing Doctor Graham, not because he was in pain but because he was heartbroken, saying to me, "my season is over, mom." It was heartwrenching for me to try and explain that all things happen for a reason and that something good would come out of this whole thing. We are so proud of Tyler and what he accomplished this year. This 3 months will only be a resting period because I know he'll want to come back asap and strong! Thanks to all who have supported Tyler through the season-he will need your prayers these next few days.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Sorry to hear about Tyler's leg. We are praying for his surgery today that all goes well. Let us know if you need anything.

I was thinking about the timing of it and was happy that at least he was able to break the school record and didn't get hurt one short or even tied to the old record. :) I'm sure that would've been even more frustrating. Now, he'll just have to wait to break more records once he is in high school. :)

Cindy said...

Thanks for your prayers...he is nervous. In fact, we are getting ready to leave in a few minutes. I will tell him you are thinking of and praying for him. We'll let you know how it goes. As for the record...there is still time left for some of the wrestlers to beat it, but that's okay. We know in our heart that Tyler would have went undefeated this year and would have been a 2 time Big 11 Champ. And you are right, from this moment on he is a freshman wrestler. He has next year to look forward to and prepare for. Thanks again for your kind words.