Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LiveStrong Day

Today I think almost every person living has been affected by cancer...whether it has been themself or someone they know. I have had several family members lose their battle to cancer as well as some that have fought the good fight and are winning. For me personally, cancer took the future of having an older brother from me. Rodney was only 3 years old when he met Jesus face to face. I was not even a year old so I never had the chance to actually know him. He had lymphatic lymphoma. Cancer also robbed my children of having a grandmother and Ben of having his mother. She met Jesus on July 4, 1999. My boys remember her getting them from school and staying at her house till I got home from work. They remember she made awesome peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...the ones like she made for Ben when he was a boy. Sadly, Gabi never had the chance of meeting grandma Reinoehl. She had Colon Cancer.
I can go on and on with relatives and friends who have been diagnosed with cancer. It's time we find a cure so our loved ones will never have to hear the dreadful word...cancer. There are many organizations that are working hard to prevent cancer and you can get involved. Today is LiveStrong Day - an organization started by Lance Armstrong. There is also a letter you can send urging Congress to support the Cancer Screening, Treatment and Survivorship Act of 2007. Another great site is the American Cancer Society. Take time to visit these sites and read some great information. This weekend the Mishawaka High School is participating in the Relay for Life. If you attend, be sure to look for the luminarie that represents Brenda Reinoehl and Rodney Brugh...it's my family's contribution and memorial...Please take time to read over information and join in the fight against Cancer - by donations, letters to Congress, or just wear Yellow today - let people know...you are in this fight to win!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thanks Cindy for always staying one step ahead of me.
mom