Saturday, November 06, 2010

Backyard Snow Brawl! Sectional Champs for Second Year!

Wow....when they said snow/rain mix, I never thought it would be basically a white out with snow covering the ground for the game!  Mix that with having to stand in line 2+ hours before game time to secure seats where we wouldn't be getting wet (which we ended up not even getting) made for a tense beginning.  Tyler believed we were going to win...he thought it would be close, but he said he knew we would win.  I have to admit I had a little doubt in that statement but hung onto his words at start of the 4th when Penn was up 7-0 and we just couldn't get the ball in for a touchdown.  With the field covered in snow, the boys could barely run.  By the fourth quarter with two minutes left my mind was really trying to wrap around the thought we were going to lose and this was it...the tears welled up, and the thoughts of my son sitting in the locker room afterward just broke my heart...I was becoming devastated....my heart sunk to a new low...and then...we got the ball back and started making our way down field...a play that turned the game around...a hook and ladder to the twenty or so.  I couldn't believe it...was this an opening???....was this really happening???? Tyler's words began to run through my mind.  With literally under 25 seconds to go our Cavemen got in for the touchdown.  And then the dreaded moment where we kick the extra point....I could barely watch.  With the clock at 5 seconds left in the game, he made it!  It was a tie game and we were headed to OT. 
We got the ball first to try and punch it it.  We ended up making the TD and the exra point to make it 14-7!  It was at this point I KNEW we would win.  Because our DEFENSE is THAT GOOD.  It was time to show them which defense was better and WE ARE.  Penn had to match us point for point and it was their turn to try.  Lo and behold, NOTHING for the Kingsmen.  NOTHING.  The Cavemen win 14-7 in OT.  What a game.  What an emotional roller coaster I was on.  Onward to Valparaiso next Friday for the Regional game title!  So happy for Tyler and very proud that he never gave up and never stopped believing.

No comments: