Saturday, October 24, 2015

First 5K

I decided about 6 weeks ago to sign up for my first 5K.  About 6-7 years ago I had developed a love of running and did so pretty religiously for over a year.  I was running about 3 miles every other day or so.  I had always talked about doing a race, but never did it for one reason or another.  I ended up getting a stress fracture twice and ultimately had to quit running.  Just recently I decided to start back up.  I looked for a rather easy training for a 5K so I would avoid injury.  It was my worst fear.  The pain was horrible and I did not want to get hurt again.  I found a 5K in Mishawaka that was about 6 weeks out and I went for it.  Pam's husband, Jeff and I talk about running and he decided to start back up again also and do the 5K with me.  It was the Beutter Park 5K - proceeds going to the D.A.R.E. program for the Mishawaka Schools.  My goal was to try and do it under 30 minutes.  Unfortunately, I didn't make the goal, but the good news is...I wasn't far off and I plan to try again!!!!  Loved running this race.  Loved having some awesome supporters there too...my parents, Gabi, Pam and the kids and even Kylee (Gabi's friend).  3rd out of 9 in my age group and 43rd out of 90 altogether...Not too bad for a first timer!  Although I didn't make my goal, I am still proud of myself!!!!








No comments: