Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Educational Assistant

So I took a long term aide job at Moran (so I can see Lennox everyday) starting mid January til today. I worked with two boys, both with autism. Harvey is in kindergarten and is nonverbal. I was with him in the mornings and took him to lunch every day. His lunch consisted everyday of chicken tenders, goldfish crackers, a fruit and a pudding cup (I had to hide with Lennox til he ate his chicken or he would want it first) and apple juice. This curly headed boy with glasses and hearing aides smiled today when I asked if he wanted to take a pic with me!  I was very touched considering he doesn’t respond much that way. 
William is a second grader who I have in the afternoon.  He does talk and he’s very smart, but only will respond when he wants to. And I’m tickled that when I ask him my name, he knows and says it with a smile!  I was with William on recess every day and he loves the mud. And swinging. I’ll miss pushing him on the swing. 
This job taught me more patience and was so rewarding in the fact that these kids wanted me near. Just knowing I was with them was a comfort to them when they got to trust me. And that felt good. I feel like I helped them the best I could resulting in smiles or with Harvey - putting all the balls into the container and with William - reading the words to a simple four word book. This job was not easy. I did get placed with some different kiddos when there was a need where some aides were absent. I was punched in the face and almost bit at one point. It brought a whole new appreciation for my mother in law who did this for many years and for my sister in law who does it 24 hours a day with her son. It’s hard. But it’s rewarding. These kids are so misunderstood in ways. But looking at them at times I found myself just wanting to know what they were thinking. Knowing they couldn’t express themselves like we do made me so very sad. Suddenly realizing how important I was to them. To be their helper. Their hands. Their voice. Grateful for the opportunity to do that. Even for just a few weeks. Such a wonderful learning experience for me. Grateful. Today was bittersweet. Though the aide job is done for me, I will be at Moran as a substitute teacher tomorrow(for kindergarten) - I’ve come to love that school and the people. I’ve made a few more good friends. Friends I can count on and it’s truly been a blessing. The employees there are wonderful. Such a great school that I’m so very happy my grandkids are a part of. 
Love seeing her every day 

Harvey Lonielle

William Holden

  

No comments: