Because today was the first football game for John Young, Gabi put her outfit woes aside and had to wear her cheer uniform. It didn't change the fact that she STILL looks older. Did I mention that I am SOOOO NOT READY for this. But alas, as she was ready to get out of the car she leaned over and waited for me to kiss her. A daily school ritual. Something that somewhat faded around this period of time with my boys. But not with her. She was not embarressed. And that warmed my heart.
Trenton was home over the weekend for a wedding and it touched me as I heard him tell Gabi to choose her friends wisely. Because you'll probably want to do alot of what your friends are doing...be sure you are with those who want to do the right things. Be a leader. Hold your head high. Be smart and do good.
I can't tell you what that meant to me to hear him talk to his little sister that way. I know I have done well. Sure, my boys are not perfect by any stretch of the means. BUT, listening to that made me realize that Ben and I have done our part and that even when we thought they weren't listening...they WERE. And it stuck. They have the wisdom and that's all we can do as parents. We did well.
Gabi walked home from school to maw maw's house. That fact helps my nervousness a bit. That my parents are just yards away from the school if she would need anything. Reese and I watched for her. I waited, being the nervous Nellie I am...and alas, SMILES! Big smiles!! Her day was great! Aside from needing help opening her locker initiallly, she had a wonderful day! She even had salad for lunch! :) She likes all her teachers and seems to really look forward to going back!
We did up her hair and away we took her to the first game of the season. Cheering at her school. And she did GREAT! She even had our normal caravan of people to watch!!! Aunt Annie, Uncle Dave, Aunt Pam, Bren and Leigh all got to come! My heart did ache a bit because one face was missing that I KNOW would have been there. One who would have called that morning to wish her a good first day of school. And that was TERRIBLY missed. Dad R. We miss you.
Logan's was a good choice for dinner and we sat and listened to Gabi's first day. All of my anxiousness and nervousness seemed to dissolve as I heard her say, "I can't wait to go back to school tomorrow!" :)












No comments:
Post a Comment